Togo is a small country located in West Africa – next to Ghana
It has a population of nearly 8 millions and the official language is French. It is off the beaten touristic track and is an alternative destination for hiking and trekking.
Crossing Togo from the south to the north is the best, (although challenging) way to discover the large variety of landscape and cultures the country has to offer.
Top 10 places to visit in Togo
1. Some beaches on the coast, lined with Palm Trees
2. The big Bazaar of Lome called “Le grand marche de Lome” and the Cathedral
3. Aneho – Apounoukpa where the lac flows into the sea
4. Kouma Konda Village and the nearby Missa-Höhe forest: famous for the its collection of insects, butterflies and paintings with natural colors.
5. Aklowa waterfall in Badou
6. Anie Market
7. Driving through the faille D’Aledjo
8. Niamtougou and Kara Mountain
9. Tamberma Valley (or Koutammakou, the land of the Batammariba) is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Discover a traditional African architecture through the fortress like mud houses dating back to the 17th Century.
10. Nok and Mamproug Cave & Dwellings: They were built around the 17th Century. They were used as granaries and shelter by the local population.
Bonus: Follow the “Making Trail”
1) Village Artisanal de Lome: Good selection of Sculpture, paintings and fabrics locally made.
2) Artisanal center in Kpalime
3) Center Cenatis in Sokode: Fabric weaving training center.